Training: Laboratory Safety for Laboratory Workers
Reid Hall, 332
This course covers basic laboratory safety including the Laboratory Standard (OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1450), the Hazard Communication Standard (OSHA 29 CFR 1910.1200), the Personal Protective Equipment Standard (OSHA 29 CFR 1910.132) and hosts discussions regarding Safe Lab Practices, and Waste Disposal.
Intended Audience: All employees that work in a laboratory setting
How you will benefit: At the conclusion of the course you will be able to:
- Identify how to dispose of chemicals and hazardous waste appropriately.
- Use safe practices in the laboratory, including best practices and industry standards.
- Meet the requirements of 29 CFR, Part 1910.1200 for certification in OSHA Hazard Communication.
- Demonstrate an understanding of what constitutes a hazardous substance and the risks and hazards associated with them.
- Demonstrate an ability to recognize the presence of the hazardous materials used in the workplace.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the use of Safety Data Sheets (SDS), GHS pictograms and labeling, NFPA labeling, and other chemical labeling used at the site in working safely around chemical hazards found in the workplace.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the routes of entry for hazardous materials to enter the body, and of the effects that the specific chemical found at the site might have on people, property, or the environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the terminology used on an SDS including flash point, flammable range, carcinogen, mutagen, teratogen, concentration, incompatibility, PEL, and TLV/TWA.
- List proper workplace procedures to follow for the safe handling and use of chemicals including proper storage techniques, use of personal protective equipment, engineering controls, and spill containment/cleanup materials
Registration is required and registration can be completed at: https://atlas.montana.edu:9000/apex/f?p=112:LOGIN:9054270497455:::::
Please contact Trevor with any questions: 994-7760
For more information go to:
http://www.montana.edu/wwwsrm/training/trainingdescriptions.htm#Laboratory Safety for Laboratory Workers
For questions regarding this event, please contact: