Trademark Basics: What Every Small Business Should Know Now, Not Later
- Thursday, September 10, 2015 from 9:00am to 10:00am
- Montana Manufacturing Center (MMEC), CFT2 Conference Room - view map
Mr. Craig Morris from the Office of the Commissioner for Trademarks in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) will be presenting on the following:
- how trademarks, copyrights, patents, domain names, and business name registrations all differ.
- why it is important for any new business to select a trademark that will be both federally registrable and legally protectable, highlighting factors critical when choosing a mark.
- the importance of doing a complete search and whether an attorney should be used.
- what may happen if another trademark owner believes it has stronger rights in a mark and issues a "cease-and-desist" letter.
- information on what the USPTO does in the federal registration process and how to avoid "scams" perpetrated by companies that request fees for services not required by the USPTO.
- what happens after registration.
- Trademark Basics Flyer.pdf
Seminar overview and directions to conference room location.