I'll Make a Man Out of You: Redefining Strong Female Characters with Anita Sarkeesian
- Wednesday, March 2, 2016 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm
- Strand Union Building - view map
The MSU Women’s Center presents the following program in March:
The MSU Women’s Center along with co-sponsoring campus colleges and departments is very excited to announce that Anita Sarkeesian, prominent feminist video blogger and public speaker, will visit our campus as the 2016 presenter for the Shannon and Frances Weatherly Memorial Lecture.
Free event brought to you by the Shannon and Frances Weatherly Memorial Lecture Fund, as well as the following Montana State University entities: Department of Computer Science; Jake Jabbs College of Business and Entrepreneurship; College of Engineering; College of Agriculture; College of Letters and Science; College of Nursing; College of Education, Health and Human Development; Office of Activities and Engagement; Diversity Awareness Office; VOICE Center, and The Leadership Institute.
Ms. Sarkeesian’s lecture: “I’ll Make a Man Out of You: Redefining Strong Female Characters,” will give the audience an exciting opportunity to learn about and question gender roles in videogames and the popular media.
Ms. Sarkeesian is a distinguished speaker and writer--her accomplishments include:
- One of Time Magazine’s 100 most important people for 2015
- Founder of Feminist Frequency, a website examining women’s roles in pop culture. Most recently, Feminist Frequency has partnered with Intel to help create more positive representations of women in gaming.
- Creator of Tropes vs. Women in Video Games, a video blog series examining women’s portrayal in gaming.
- Guest on The Colbert Report in 2014
- Recipient of the Ambassador Award at the 14th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards
- Master's degree in Social and Political Thought from Canada’s York University
This lecture is free and open to the public. For further information, please contact the Women’s Center @ 994-3836 or email@example.com.