Taking Root: Montana Farm to School Conference
Strand Union Building, Ballroom B & C
Montana Team Nutrition Program, Office of Public Instruction, Montana State University, and Learning by Nature are hosting Taking Root: Montana Farm to School Conference August 16 -17, 2012 at Montana State University in Bozeman.
Farm to School (F2S) aims to improve child nutrition by helping children understand and experience where their food comes from. It incorporates healthy farm-fresh food in school meals and snacks, provides increased opportunity for garden-based learning, agriculture education across the curriculum, and strengthens community-wide connections to support local farmers and children's well-being.
Through workshops and field trips we will explore a wealth of F2S topics throughout the cafeteria, classroom and community, network with a variety of stakeholders, and be inspired by the diverse ways F2S has taken root across Montana. Teachers, administrators, school foodservice professionals, students, parents, and community partners from early childhood -12th grade, ranchers and farmers are encouraged to attend.
This conference will highlight:
- School Gardening: Tips for making it work in Montana and school garden field trips (PreK-12)
- Keeping it Local: Tips for incorporating local foods in child nutrition programs and school fundraisers
- Food = Learning: Teaching kids to make healthy food choices and meet science and math education standards
- From Garden to School Cafeterias: Ideas for successful service learning projects and agricultural education lessons (PreK-12)
- Local Food Purchasing Toolbox: Ensuring food safety and staying within your budget
- Policy Update: National Farm to School Network
- Community: Cultivating strong partnerships
- Day 2 Optional Field Trip: School & Community Gardens Tour sponsored by Learning by Nature
Renewal units from OPI and MT Early Childhood Project will be available.
For more information go to:
For questions regarding this event, please contact: